Monday, October 03, 2005

Life is laughable

I suffer from random unseriousness. If an event is to be serious or has some dignity about it I have this uncanny spiritual gift of making it comedic.

Graduation Day - Ahh... the day where I got my piece of paper that says I have all but one course...As I went up, I was playing in my head everything that had to be done. Approach the podium - turn to my right - Get my sash thingy - shake hands - get diploma - pose - walk off.
This happened a few months ago but the stark mishappedness of it all is worth reiterating. I approach the Podium (while Dr. Gavel was reading the three other names [which were female] I started walking. My thoughts were louder than his voice apparently. Why not walk, I'm the only one here, I thought) Slightly embarrassing Then I face the Pres and assumed to turn. I asked him with a short hand motion "Do I turn this way?" while jerking right thumb in the same direction. He said go ahead. I turned. Deafening pause. I turned to ask Pres, "Was I supposed to turn now?" Pres: "You're fine". Then everyone laughs. It is at this point that Dr. Gavel assumes reading the absentee list and then gets to my name. Oh... oops Relatively embarrassed Ok, I can get my sash and shake hands (in my case hug) without incident. But then I pose. Crap! I thought to myself, my diploma is sideways! What do I do? Turn it 90 degrees only to have it slip from my hands. But it didn't just fall on the stage, it tumbled down every step. No time to act Embarrased I swiftly picked it up, held it propoerly while laughing too hard. The place erupted with laughter! Too Sween to regret embarrassment

This past Sunday during Jonathan's seromn response time, we had to nail nails into a cross for people we were going to actively persue this month in friendship. I walked up to the stage and then thought, I have time before guitar parts come in, I'll pound my two nails. It did cross my mind "What if I hit my thumb?"
First nail - flawless
Second nail - hit my thumb. It hurt. Nail went flying past Emily Goff's head. Those around me laughed. Thumb still hurts today.

I have so much more to write. This particular post will be updated various and sundry times.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sween said...

My wife says I make those Sandforite noises. She wasn't sure what they were until I told her about those Sandfordite types.

I need to get to the drawbridge! EEEEEYAAAAANGH

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, I still remember graduation. That was complete and utter Sween there. Good times.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home