Friday, September 08, 2006

The Sobriety of Death

You hear about people dying all the time. Maybe I'm fortunate that not a lot of people I know personally die. But even some people that you've never met have an influence on you somehow, when they pass on there is a certain unavoidable emptiness that dwells when you think of them. Two of these people for me are Darrell Lance Abbott (Dimebag Darrell) and Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter)

I remember where I was I heard about the unfortunate, untimely death of Dimebag Darrell. I was at the church office working away when I thought I heard the name "Dimebag Darrell" and "people were shot to death" all in the same story. I couldn't believe it so I looked on the internet. True enough. Sad days.
Though it happened December 8th, 2004, it is still a heavy oppressive thought to me to think that my favorite metal guitarist was murdered. Not only that, he was murdered on stage by some crazed ex-fan who accused him of breaking up Pantera. Give me a break! I can't imagine what it must have been like for Vinne Paul to see his brother shot down. I used to think he was invincible.

This was another dissappointment. I love the Crocodile Hunter. Though I never watched his shows much, there was this unconscious joy I had knowing that that crazy Crodile Hunter was somewhere catching some dangerous animal. And the enthusiasm with which he sought such creatures. The first line I heard was from Matt Shulaw and Luke Adams because they watched the show in our hotel room while I was sleeping. They told me about it the next day: "Stop! A Snake!"; "The snake wasn't much of a problem but I had to sure look out for that barb-wire fence.

I wish I could have met them in person. I think now I can only begin to understand the gravity of John Lennon's death and Kurt Cobain's death as well. I wasn't aware that John Lennon was killed, I was only a baby. Unfortunately, I never got into Nirvana until 1995. Sorry this topic was morbid but I think I am starting to understand the dynamics of death and its effect on other people.

1 Comments:

Blogger t4stywh34t said...

Australia joins you in your mourning.

There have been a lot of interesting e-mails going around here in Oz about a rumour saying that Steve became a Christian a couple weeks before he died...I dunno what the truth is, but it'd be fun as hell to see Steve Irwin roping some fallen angels.

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home