Thursday, October 20, 2005

On Words

The english language and perversions thereof are funny. We make words out of existing words which in turn creates a funny root word.

For instance: Workaholic; Chocoholic

Derivative: Alcoholic - One who is enslaved to consuming alcohol.

So does a chocoholic mean a person is addicted to chocohol or a workaholic to workahol? What does it mean?


On the subject of word usage, what about the word temper. We use the phrase "I'm going to lose my temper" if someone is about to get mad but if someone is notorious for being mad they "have a temper". What does it all mean?

I've also heard the word de-thaw like "I'm going inside to de-thaw and then have some hot chocolate" But doesn't thaw mean to melt? So if you're de-thawwing, then you must be freezing yourself or the direct object, right? But all this isn't to say the person in the above sentence is a chocoholic, because as we stated, there is no use of chocohol.

Someone give me their take on this: "You're awfully pretty!" and "Your homework is pretty awful"
Interesting, no? Yeah, you're right, I do need a life... or a library card.

5 Comments:

Blogger t4stywh34t said...

So if I said that I were a Sweenaholic, that would be incorrect grammar?

4:29 PM  
Blogger Sween said...

It would just mean you are addicted to Sweenahol, whatever that is.

8:36 AM  
Blogger t4stywh34t said...

I may not know what it is, but I know I want some.

wink





yeah sorry that's gross

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweenahol, haha...

12:25 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Mmm... Sweenahol... You should market that, Sween.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home